Updating builder grade cabinets dunhill lighters vintage dating
Because I am resourceful 😉 , I used the hinges I already had and spray painted them gold.I found the perfect pulls at Hobby Lobby and snagged them for .50 a piece since it was 50% off day– yippee! 🙂 I think the vanity area now fits in nicely with the rest of our master bathroom, which we totally demolished down to the studs and built back up last year…The existing countertop was only 22 inches deep instead of the standard 25 inches.Building a new countertop let us push the front edge out slightly so we were able to fit a 20” deep sink into the countertop.Because I was in my “paint everything black” phase, I of course painted it black, framed in the mirror above it, and that actually made the space a little better.A few years later, though, it was looking pretty beat up and in need of some new paint.I still haven’t decided whether I’m going to repaint the mirror frame or leave it as is. Bathroom upgrades can be tough, but they don’t always have to be expensive– it’s amazing what a little bit of paint can do to transform a builder-grade vanity!I’m kind of liking the contrast at the moment, but that could always change…and usually does. That’s the tough thing about mirror pictures– it’s hard to get out of the shot! The master bedroom is almost finished, so watch for the big reveal later this week!
Given our budget constraints, the following projects were selected to give the biggest impact: New light fixture accentuating the new design style; frame in the existing mirror to give it a less commercial feel; reclad the medicine cabinet door to match the mirror; remove the one-piece countertop and replace it with marble mosaic tile, larger sinks and new elegant faucets; refinish the existing base cabinets and add door pulls; add custom storage shelves to the cabinet bases; repaint the walls; and cover the toilet wall with salvaged wood and built in shelves. Instead of calling an installer to put in a solid surface like granite or cultured stone, we decided to build it ourselves.To top off the fresh new look, door pulls in the same finish as the faucet were added to each door.To make the most of vanity cabinet, extra storage shelves were fitted to the back of the cabinets.This kept the surface visually interesting while letting some of the wood grain still show through.Though we could have sanded, stripped and refinished the wood, this would have taken a lot of hours of work and still cost about the same.